Monday, June 14, 2010

Of Spice and Blend

Spices and tastes are so subjective but I think that it's pretty rare to create a flavour that only appeals to ones self. This summer I have created what I consider a universal seasoned salt/spice blend that so far has worked wonders on chicken, pork, beef, lamb, mushrooms and even rice.

It's an aromatic blend that I whip up in my spice (coffee) grinder that can be used at almost any stage of cooking or eating. In fact, I was delighted by how well it worked on my toast with avocado slices at lunch today.

This recipe is enough to fill a regular size spice jar (10 Tablespoons):

4 Whole Cardamum seed pods
1 Tablespoon of Garlic granules/powder
1 Teaspoon of Onion granules/powder
2 Tablespoons Coriander seed
1/4 Teaspoon Cumin seed
1-2 dried Chilis (whichever you prefer and as spicy as you like)
2 Tablespoons of Paprika or Korean dried red pepper flakes (my preference)
2 Teaspoons of Salt
2 Teaspoons of Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Soup powder (I use Lee Kum Kee Chicken Bouillon or Vegeta for a vegan version)

Be creative, substitute one spice for another...I would however suggest that you avoid vanilla and nutmeg, though...

As the old lady in the Frank's hot sauce commercial and Soulja Boy say: "I put that S$%# on everything!!" (Last time I ever reference SB...sorry)

Rub generously on pork belly, beer can chicken, grilled chicken legs/wings, lamb etc..

2 comments: